Internationally renowned wine brand, Kim Crawford, is celebrating a quarter of a century this year, reflecting on the ‘kiwi’ hard work, determination, and innovation that has created a brand now cherished the world over.
Founded by Kim and Erica Crawford it has become one of New Zealand’s most recognisable wine brands. With wine from two of New Zealand’s most famous regions, Marlborough and Hawke’s Bay, the Kim Crawford brand has grown dramatically during the last 25 years with an annual sales volume of $26.7 million and is now the largest New Zealand wine brand by volume in both the US and Canada.
Arriving at the point of great success didn’t happen overnight for Kim and Erica Crawford, with the powerhouse couple working hard and playing to their respective strengths, Kim making the wine and Erica managing the business.
So how did it all begin?
I had the pleasure of chatting to Erica Crawford of Kim Crawford about their amazing journey.
1. Congratulations on the 25th Anniversary of Kim Crawford! What an amazing achievement. What is the story of Kim Crawford that led to this incredible achievement?
Kim and I started out selling wine from our house in Auckland, we were buying the fruit and hired the winemaking facilities to produce Sauvignon Blanc from our home. We were part of that Sauvignon Blanc revolution that took the world by storm, and subsequently, people were loving what Kim was making in particular.
2. What would you say are the 3 biggest lessons you learned over the years about wine and the industry?
- Succeeding is up to you – the industry and the people and leaders within it will have thoughts and opinions, but those opinions aren’t reality, you have to make your own
- In business and life, obstacles can be overcome – Kim and I had a plethora of problems and hurdles in the beginning, but we stuck with it and made it
- Planning works – We came up with a clear plan to launch Kim Crawford Wines and we stuck to it. I really believed in the wines Kim was making so backing that product and passion with a clear plan was something I needed to be really confident
3. No doubt it’s like choosing a favourite child, but which of the wines would you say is a must-try?
The Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is the brand’s best-seller and is loved across the world. While the entire range is stunning, the Sauvignon Blanc would be my pick.
4. What is your proudest achievement?
Building Kim Crawford into the company it is today was a momentous career accomplishment.
It’s great to see something you put your time and energy into amount to something as exceptional as what we see in Kim Crawford Wines today.
5. What does the future hold for Kim Crawford Wines?
The brand continues to grow and continues to showcase the best of the Marlborough region to the rest of the world. Consumers can expect the range to grow as well with new products on the horizon.